How to Use Your Own Router with AT&T Fiber: Most of us make use of the home internet service for accessing the content. The brand AT & T fiber has established a name for itself in the realm of home internet and broadband services. While they do offer you access to their own router, you have the option to use your own router, if you have one available with you. The AT&T internet modem can be generic and may not offer you the kind of service you expect.
In your AT&T fiber Internet plan, you get a Wi-Fi Gateway — a modem and Wi-Fi router combo — delivered to your home via a technician as they deftly install the fiber internet set up at your residence. But, you may also opt for using your own router which is already available at hand.
Why Use Your Own Router?
Before we can explain how you can use your own router for setting up your AT&T Fiber modem, let us find a few reasons why you should go with your own modem.
Picking your own router can help you pick the one with the right benefits in terms of high speeds, tri-band, or other high-end features like parental controls. The router you will get from AT&T is entirely generic and will not provide you access to all the features you are looking ahead to. There are not many AT&T fiber modem options available that can fulfill your individual requirements.
How to Use Your Own Router with AT&T Fiber
The steps involved in how to use your own router with AT&T can include the following steps –
- Pick your router – If you already have a router that you have been using with your previous internet service provider, picking a new router does not arise. However, if you are picking a new router, make sure that you have a router that is compatible with AT&T. You will also need to look into the features you want on your router.
- Find your login gateway – The login information consists of username and password and the IP address that you need to enter. Setting up a router will need to you sign in to the gateway.
- Login – The default IP address for accessing your fiber settings is essentially 192.168.1.254. If it does not work, you may need to call up AT&T
- Change the LAN settings – Once you have entered the login gateway, look for the Go to LAN>DHCP and change the range to 172.16.0.0, and cache it.
Next, connect your new router. Once there, follow the steps here below –
- Make sure that your router is connected to the AT&T device and a power source.
- Go to Settings
- Select the option Applications, pinholes, and DMZ
- Your connected device will be shown in the dashboard.
- Pick your router and click on Allow all applications(DMZ Modes)
Check your connection. If you have configured everything correctly, your router should begin getting connected to the internet.
Once your new router is enabled and working, make sure that you have disabled the old router.
To disable the old router, you can follow the steps here below –
- Go back to your gateway and locate the Settings option.
- Go to LAN>Wi-Fi, and check for the WiFi interface.
- If the Wi-Fi tab says enabled, disable it for the old router.
The Closing Thoughts
Technically speaking, buying a new router or using the one that you already have may be a great option than using a router that came with your AT&T subscription. That way, you can get access to the features that you want on your broadband connection.
However, setting up the router can prove to be a little cumbersome and may need a few technical skills. Make sure that you have the requisite skills so that you can avoid missing out your connectivity. Moreover, as soon as you have activated your new router, you can ensure that the old router has been disabled. Using two routers simultaneously for a single connection can mess up your connectivity. You may get in touch with AT&T if you run into any issues so that you will avoid the issues if any on 1-855-820-1220.
Does AT&T let you use your own modem?
- Yes, you can use your own modem with the AT&T fiber, but it will need to be set up and configured. If you are not able to do it yourself, AT&T technicians can help you set up your modem and router.
What router does AT&T fiber use?
- It would ideally be dependent on the franchisee in your area. One of the most commonly supplied modem -router combination by AT&T is the AT&T Arris BGW210-700.
More Router Login Guides
- 192.168.1.0.1 Login Admin (Username & Password)
- 192.168.1.1 Login Admin (Username & Password)
- Vodafone Router IP, Default Login & Password for Admin
- How To Login To Sky Router – Default IP, User ID, Password
- How to Use Your Own Router with AT&T Fiber – Detailed Info
- How to Nighthawk Router Login – Find User, Password, IP
- How to Fios Router Login – Find Default User, Password, IP
- Arris Default Login – Username, Password, and IP Address